November Thanks: Viva America!

Disclaimer:  This post is solely MY opinion and is not intended to cause any anger or hatred towards anyone in any way.  Whether you agree or not, I only ask that respect is given and received.  To those who read my little blog, I thank you for stumbling upon my words and for all the support!

It is officially Wednesday here in Las Vegas, but because of all the election coverage this evening, I'm just now able to write my post.  So let's just make this post for Tuesday, November 6, Election Night!

I must start off first and foremost by saying YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO (in the Yahoo! tune)!!

I am profoundly excited and proud to call myself an American tonight.  Of all the things that make up this one great and diverse country, the one thing that always prevails is the love most if not all of us, have for it.  Sure we may not all agree on tonight's choice for President of the United States and obviously we do not all believe in the same way.  But when it is all said and done and when the moon lights up the sky and eyes all around America shut tight and drift off to sleep, what has happened is done and change will come.

For me, it's a magnificent evening.  For the second time in five years I have sat and watched as American's all over the country have chosen President Barack Obama to lead our nation.  I watched with tears in my eyes, love and peace in my heart, and hope in my soul, that these next four years will be life changing ones.  
Photo by: Kim Trevino 
In a country that has been in the worst recession since the Great Depression and where marriage equality does not exist in nearly every state for the LGBT community, tonight we all stood together and watched change happen right before our eyes.  Gay marriage was legalized in Maine and Maryland, marijuana was legalized in Washington and Colorado, and well...you all know by now.

The moment I saw that President Obama had been re-elected for a second term, tears welled in my eyes because I was simply and purely, happy.  Living in Nevada, I feel so proud of every Nevadan who came out to vote and who helped Obama claim our state.  Although I'm from Texas, my vote only counts in Nevada.  And with all honesty, I feel lucky for that.
Photo by: Kim Trevino 

Tonight I am so thankful that for me at least, my president conquered.  I know there is so much more work that needs to be done for our country.  And I am always aware of that and the facts.  I don't care about what others say about the decision, many things I read I feel are filled with ignorance and hate anyway.  And in my opinion, I've always believed that those two go hand in hand and in the end they never win.

I am thankful that so many Americans believe in hope, second chances, more time, and greater things for our nation.  I am thankful that I am American, born in raised in Uvalde, Texas, Hispanic, a woman, and that I have the wonderful right to VOTE.  And I am so grateful that voting matters. 
Photo by: Kim Trevino
President Obama inspires me.  He makes me feel like I am capable of greatness despite what others may say or think about me, despite what I believe in and how I look, and despite the fact that I'm a minority.  He inspires me because he himself is a minority and look where he stands, what he has done for this country, and what I know he will continue to do for four more years!!

You see, it doesn't matter where you stand.  At the end of each day we are all Americans.  And we must ALWAYS stand together in spite of all of our differences.  That is what MAKES America, America!  And that is what we should always remember and put first.  In the darkest of times, from 9/11 to the recent aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the people of the United States of America, always stand together!
Photo by: Kim Trevino 
"Tonight, in this election, you, the American people, reminded us that while our road has been hard, while our journey has been long, we have picked ourselves up, we have fought our way back, and we know in our hearts that for the United States of America, the best is yet to come." Barack Obama


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts