Sunday Kind of Love: Gianna & Courtland

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Ghandi 

Today marks the fifth Sunday dedicated to my SKOL segment and each time I sit down to interview a couple or person, I realize just how much love there truly is in the world.  It makes me smile.  It makes me feel lucky to know love and have love.  And it's one of the best feelings imaginable.

This weekend I was lucky enough to interview a phenomenal couple whose love story is guaranteed to bring a smile to anyone's face.  Being around people who genuinely love each other and seeing the differences in every kind of love, allows me to be more appreciative and thankful for every day I have, to love those I do.  For all of us who find love, who have love, who live love, we're damn lucky.  WE are so damn lucky.

Gianna & Courtland

The Mitma's
It was their Senior year of high school and graduation was quickly approaching.  They shared two classes together, barely knew each other, yet decided separately to invite each other to the others graduation party.  She didn't go to his party, a mistake she regrets having made, but he went to hers.  Life as they knew it would forever be changed and a love story began.

"He was the first person to show up at my graduation party that was one of my guests," said Gianna Mitma of her husband Courtland Mitma.  I had a conjoined party with a friend and so I asked him if we could hang out because I didn't know anyone.  Thankfully he said yes."

That night back in 2006 marked the beginning of a friendship that would continue blossoming throughout the years.  Gianna's party was on a Saturday, Courtland called on a Sunday and they had their first date on a Monday, June 19, 2006.  They officially became a couple less than a month later and ever since then, they've been growing and loving together, creating a story that defies all odds.

"I had never had a boyfriend before him," said Gianna.  "We were each other's first everything and he was such a gentleman.  He was different and he's always treated me with respect."

Courtland knew how different Gianna was as well and it was her differences that attracted him all the more.  For him, it was her genuine happiness and niceness that reeled him in.

"She balanced me out," said Courtland.  "I'm not a very talkative person but on our first date it was so quiet.  I remember her saying, "I hate silence so I'm going to talk okay!," and it's something like that, that she does, that balances me out."

First loves
Of course like every relationship must go through, there have been struggles and hurdles that the Mitma's have crossed, that have helped bring their relationship closer together.  It is their strong sense of connection and understanding of one another, that makes even the worst of times, the easiest, as long as they have each other.

"We came from two different religions.  He was Mormon.  I was not very religious at all.  It was really hard at first for our families to accept our relationship, but we knew what we wanted to do and we remained true to ourselves," said Gianna.

Overcoming their different backgrounds led to a union that became one, on January 8, 2011, when they officially became husband and wife.  It was a moment neither of them could ever forget and it has been the greatest accomplishment thus far.  It isn't hard to see how much love surrounds them when you see them together.  They truly are each other's best friend.

"I can talk to her about anything.  I can be my most true self around her," said Courtland.

"He's very supportive of me.  I'm a little eccentric but he supports me always and never judges me," said Gianna.

The most important factor that keeps these two together and strong, is the way in which they communicate with each other, even if it can get hard at times.  Communication for them is vital and although they know that perfection does not exist, they try always to listen to each other when they speak,  validating their feelings and never judging one another.

Best Friends 
The beauty of love is how much it changes you as a person, as a couple and how much it changes your life, even when you least expect it.

"It's changed everything.  There's nothing that is the same anymore because everything has changed," said Courtland.  "It's called serendipity and everything is different but better, for the good."

"I am the person I was meant to be now," said Gianna.  "I met him when I was 17 and who I am now is me.  For so long it's been Gianna and Courtland and even though some may find that weird, it works for us.  I love being Gianna and Courtland."

The happy couple are a rarity to see and like every person I've interviewed since I started this segment, what works for this couple is all that matters.  Marriage hasn't changed them any and it's apparent when you see them together.  Their love brightens any room and their hopes to make it to at least 50 years of wedded bliss, is one of many dreams they share together.

However the one thing that matters most to them, is simply having each other by their side.

"Nothing else matters if he's not next to me," said Gianna.  "In the end, we only have one life to live and all that matters is that we're together throughout it."

At the end of our interview, I asked the one question I ask every person I interview for this segment; what does love mean to you?  Their answers didn't shock me, instead, they made my heart smile and brighten.  They made me happy and that's the great thing about love; in the middle of nowhere, when you least expect it, love lifts you up and you can't help but smile.

"Love is giving your whole heart to someone whose your soulmate," said Gianna.  "You go around in life like half finished and then you find that person and you feel completed."

"Love to me, means being with your best friend and being completely neurotic about it and not caring at all," said Courtland.

Love.
Special thanks to Gianna and Courtland for letting me be a part of your magnificent journey.  No matter who you are or where you go in life, as long as you have love of yourself, love of others is easy to come by.  Being loved truly is the best feeling in the world.  Finding someone to share your love with, is even better!

"To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides."- David Viscott 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts