Reading wonders

I went to the library this past weekend, for the first time in years, and I loved it.  From the smell of all the books and history to scanning almost every shelf for something interesting to read, I fell in love all over again, with books.

There is something about reading, which I am letting myself have more and more time to do, that makes me feel peace within my heart.  For those who know me, I'm generally a very happy and peaceful person and the only thing I usually struggle with are my insecurities.  However, through reading, I find that my mind is not constantly spinning and going with thought after thought and instead is more focused and still, soaking in every bit of detail from every word and sentence I read.

Where did the love for reading go? Maybe it's just the real bookworm in me that feels this way, but hasn't reading ever allowed you peace?  I know for me, reading makes me believe that I can write better, more and create something that people will enjoy reading.

So, I've started this challenge within myself to see if I can read all 11 books that I checked out, in three weeks, as that is the length of time I have to keep them.  Right now I am finishing a book on my Kindle, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou and my first library book, The Joy Diet, by Martha Beck.  Both novels are extraordinary and though I just started The Joy Diet today, I'm excited to learn from it.  I think every one of us can build our joy and happiness much more, even if our lives are already happy.  What harm can  an extra dose or two of happiness do to one's life?  NOTHING!  So here is to The Joy Diet, a book to help us all, live a happier life.

I'm looking forward to reading all the books I checked out by May 15, so here's to hoping I get them all done.  I really have missed reading.  It's a pastime I've loved since I learned how to do it and I'm so happy I found a library that allows me to check out 50 books at once.  Holy cow!! Now that, is a library to me!

Today I am very grateful to be able to read, and understand the love and dedication each author puts in to what they love the most. I'm happy.  I'm wiling and I'm ready to take on my own goal.  Never, ever, give up on the things you love the most.  Whether that is reading as many books as you can and want or simply learning how to forgive and let go of fears, the only way to a true and fulfilling life, is following your heart; the keepsake of all your dreams.

Comments

  1. Yaaaaay for libraries! I don't visit ours in Homer as often as I should, but I love reading. That's about all I've been doing during the day this week. Well, that and taking naps. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts