The Age Effect

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"- Satchel Paige

This year, I will embark on another birthday, inching my way to nearly completed adulthood.

Sure I act immature still, freak out over nothing in particular, and occasionally but not often, space out.  Those are pieces of me from long ago, that have slowly over time, broken free as I age.

So many people in this world we live in, succumb to what I like to refer to as "The Age Effect."  In other words, with every year that we get older, some forget the entire meaning of what it truly means to age.

I've never had an issue with getting older.  In fact I was the little girl who always wanted to grow up and be older, wiser, more mature.  At 25, I still don't know everything I'd like to know about life.  I dream big and think constantly, always wondering how my life will turn out as I age.

However, not living in the actual present moment, (you know the one you're in right now?) can be a downer, a downward spiral into not fully embracing life as it comes. Who really wants to live that way anyway?  Not I.  Not anymore.  I'd rather live a carefree life, dreaming and believing big things, making things possible and loving myself with every new year and increase in age.

Satchel Paige, was an American baseball player , who was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1971.  He said a beautiful thing once.  How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were? 

His quote got me thinking; about age and all.  Some say your 20s are the hardest, your 30s you begin to be your own person and your 40s the age when you finally grow up and worry less.  However, I feel that with every age gained, you grow up that much more.  In a world that is constantly growing and moving, so are we.  

However, sometimes I wish I could go back and be a certain age again.  If I didn't know how old I was now, I'd be 2, 3, 4.  I'd be more innocent, curious, free and fearless.  
    
I'd cherish these moments more.

I'd value the beauty of what being a mother is truly about.
I'd know what real friendship was like.
I'd love every second.

At 25 I still don't know how my life will turn out or what I'll be for sure, when I grow up.  But if I've learned anything as I've aged, it's been how to truly live.  I'm always learning better and more ways to live a fulfilling life, but now it is only up to me, to do what I say, and be who I want to be.  The two-year-old inside still lives, and I want to be more like her when I grow up; fearless.

 

Comments

  1. Always dream big and set high expectations for yourself... you are truly talented don't ever give up your dream. I love your blog. The photos of innocence past brought tears to my eyes... fantastic writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article SIS you are truly an amazing writer never give up on your dreams let life hand you the presents that will guide you in your future. The photos are classic love the 80 s clothing. Love you always keep up the good work. Your big bro Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts