Silverstein

In all my life I have only a handful of books that I would deem my favorite novels of all-time.  With favorite novels come favorite authors and though I have several of those, one author in particular has always stood out among the rest.

Shel Silverstein came into my life when I was probably five or six years old.  I remember because the very first book I read of his is also one of my most cherished books of all, The Giving Tree.  I didn't understand the concept and thought provoking meaning then, but when I became a nanny to a little boy who captured my heart, I knew I had to read that book to him.

He had to know it.  To hear it.  And I guess for me, I needed to know it and hear it all over again.  The meaning of the story of a tree who loves a little boy has changed for me since I was a little girl.  It was actually quite sad to be honest.  A tree who loved a boy unconditionally throughout his life, even when all he wanted from the tree throughout most of the book were things.  And in the end, as is the case for most of our lives, the boy realized that the only things that truly mattered, were the things the tree had always been there to give him: love, friendship, honesty, shade, adventure, laughter, and a nice place to sit and rest.

So today, because I am feeling so content and blessed with the life I have, I dedicate this post solely to Shel Silverstein, a master of truth telling.

In every life we face struggles and obstacles that we all hope to overcome.  Sometimes we do.  Sometimes we don't.  And sometimes in the wake of tragedy, we do more than we could ever imagine.  The fall weather is quickly and surely making me feel more and more peaceful.  When the wind blows and the smell of fall surrounds me, I breathe it in deeply and smile.

No matter what we go through in life, a few things should always be clear.
1.)  Whatever voices we hear telling us all the negatives, the impossible is always possible.
2.)  Only the voice from deep within each person, should be the voice that person listens to.  Sure the advice of a loved one or good friend help, but ultimately at the end of this long road we call life, only the individual is responsible for the way they choose to live.  
3.)  You are NEVER alone.  People love you, when you let them and even when you don't.  So let yourself be loved.  Let others help if they can and want to.  And be there in return.
4.)  And lastly and most importantly, NEVER be afraid to be who you are.  Never be blind to what the truth is and who you truly are.  Let your freak flag fly high above the mountains, speak the truth, love even if you're afraid, and live your life for YOU.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. listen to the don'ts.
Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts.
Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me...
Anything can happen child.  Anything can be."
-Shel Silverstein

The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
"I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you-just listen to 
The voice that speaks inside.
-Shel Silverstein

“Nobody loves me, nobody cares,
Nobody picks me peaches and pears.
Nobody offers me candy and Cokes,
Nobody listens and laughs at me jokes.
Nobody helps when I get into a fight,
Nobody does all my homework at night.
Nobody misses me,
Nobody cries,
Nobody thinks I'm a wonderful guy.
So, if you ask me who's my best friend, in a whiz,
I'll stand up and tell you NOBODY is!
But yesterday night I got quite a scare
I woke up and Nobody just WASN'T there!
I called out and reached for Nobody's hand,
In the darkness where Nobody usually stands,
Then I poked through the house, in each cranny and nook,
But I found SOMEBODY each place that I looked.
I searched till I'm tired, and now with the dawn,
There's no doubt about it-
NOBODY'S GONE!!” 

-Shel Silverstein 


Masks

She had blue skin,
And so did he.
He kept it hid
And so did she.
They searched for blue
Their whole life through,
Then passed right by-
And never knew.
-Shel Silverstein 


C'est la vie!! Live the life you want.  Make your dreams come true.  Laugh so much it hurts.  Love with all your heart, without expectations or anything in return, and honestly.  Be a great friend, as best as you can be.  You can't be everything to someone and you can't make someone your everything.  In the end, only YOU can be your everything, and those that truly love you will love you even more for it.  With every bump in the road, remember all that you still have.  And have faith without fear.  Everyone has faith in different ways or forms.  So just believe and smile.  For all that we go through in life, only teaches us and solidifies to us, just how strong we truly are.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts