Be soft. Be calm. Be still.

I have always had issues with staying still, relaxing, and just taking it easy.

I don't quite know where I get that from, but I take full responsibility for it.  Learning how to let things run smoothly on their own is something that I struggle with at times.  For me, I try to get things done all at once or all in one big span of time, that way I know where to go from there.

The fortunate thing about that however, is that life somehow always seems to slap you on the back of the head saying "Calm down.  You don't have to do it all."

That's what I adore so much about life.

My twenties I have come to find out, have not been my favorite.  There are so many questions you try to figure out that society or the pressures of life throw on you.  Sometimes I think, heck, what do I really want to do with my one precious life?  And then the answers come.  One by one, in silent harmony, waiting patiently for me to take notice.

They say: Love.  Happiness.  Health.  Laughter.  Helping others.  Relaxation.  Family.  Friends.  More growth. Writing.  Sleeping late when I can.  Watching movies with my loves.  Good food.  The list can go on and on and it is all of the above that make me happiest.  
Johnny Depp; via Pinterest 
That is all I want out of life.  And quite frankly, it is ALL I NEED to live.  IT IS wholeheartedly ENOUGH!

Someday I know I will look back on my twenties and say that they were my favorite.  For when the world was trying to make me something I knew deep in my heart I wasn't, I stood against the tide and managed to stay on my own two feet.  I followed my heart.  I followed what I wanted.

I don't know what my life has in store for me and right now, on this warm September evening, I don't care.  All that has ever and truly ever matters to me, is knowing that I have one amazing family who will never stop loving me.  They get me even when I hate to admit that they are right.  And they love me regardless.
Via Pinterest 
I have the kind of relationship that so many people are unfortunately never able to find. And the pressures that society puts on relationships, makes me feel even more grateful for the guy who stands beside me every single day I'm alive, no matter how crazy, neurotic, or loving I can be.  It is because of him, I have inherited an additional family whom I love immensely.

I grew up without a father.  I never knew him nor did I ever want to.  I had a step-father along the way, but it was always and only ever my mother who never gave up on us, who never abandoned us no matter what life was throwing her way, and who will always be my mother and father wrapped in one.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is this:  I've made it through.  I've made it through the darkest of days in my young life, the unknowing of the world, several thousands of tears, fears, worries and questions.  I've made it through because I chose to.  Even when I feel like giving up somedays and not trying, I remember that it is solely because of me that I have made it through.  I have that power.

I'm just really blessed to have the people in my life who helped me through it all.  Some people think that they can do it all on their own.  But I know now, that that is never the case.  At some point in your life you will need the help of others, usually those who love you more than you could ever know, to help you along the path.  And when they offer, PAY ATTENTION.  LISTEN TO WHAT THEY SAY.  And let them help you.  It is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself and one of the most beautiful ways to show them just how much you love them.

I don't always take my own advice.  Those who love me most would agree 100%.  But I do know that I am always capable of following it.  And though sometimes I get side tracked and lose my direction, my heart and my life never fail me.  It's in those moments that I know I can't do it all at once.  That most of the time, taking things slowly is the best way to truly appreciate what you have.

In closing, I'll end off with a few lyrics to one of my favorite songs, because hell, I can!  Tell someone you love just how much tonight.  Let go of the things you CAN'T control.  Read a book or call your best friend.  Love who you are and all that has made you, wonderfully you.  And be still.  I promise it's worth it.

"If I ever leave this world alive
I'll take on all the sadness
That I left behind
If I ever leave this world alive
The madness that you feel will soon subside
So in a word don't shed a tear
I'll be here when it all gets weirds
If I ever leave this world alive."

Dr. Seuss; via Pinterest 









Comments

Popular Posts